[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Steve Kostecke k0stk at arrl.net
Mon Jan 9 00:25:45 EST 2012

Tom Azlin N4ZPT said:

>Make that IMBE for first generation P25. Still a DVSI product.
>
>Royalties - seems like a bunch of urban myths here. The DVSI site says
>no royalties or licensing fees for buying their vocoders chips and
>putting them in radios. see http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a2020.htm for
>an example.  I did not have to pay any royalty to buy the AMBE vocoder
>chips. something like $8 for surface mount and $18 for DIP in volume. I
>got mine for $23 each.
>
>Might be royalties to build to APCO Project 25, DMR, etc. standards. But
>no royalties to build to the JARL standard or use an AMBE vocoder seems
>to me.

What if DVSI decides to multiply the price per DIP by a factor of 10?

What if DVSI decides to not provide backwards compatibilty in the next
generation of AMBE?

This mania for a mode which is hostage to one company tells me that far
to many people have not learned from our collective experience with
Microsoft. It's like watching moths circling a flame.

73, Steve, K0STK // k0stk at arrl.net