[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Mon Jan 9 06:46:12 EST 2012

If DVSI increases the prices of the Codecs by a factor of ten, they will
not sell any large quantities of AMBE chips. This would eventually force
DVSI into bankruptcy because they would not have enough sales to support
the company's operations. At the bankruptcy sale, amateurs from around
the world would then pool their money and buy the rights to the AMBE
chip and make it open source. This would reduce the price of the radios
now being sold by about $20 per radio making them affordable by all
amateurs throughout the world. There would then be much rejoicing.

A gratuitous statement can be easily refuted by another gratuitous
statement.

Steve, I guess all amateurs fearing this scenario must not own or be
using any cell phones. Virtually every cell phone sold in the United
States uses technology owned by other companies (for example, Qualcomm).
The cell phone manufacturers then pay a royalty on each cell phone back
to the owner of the technology. So far these companies (Qualcomm) have
not increased their royalties "by a factor of ten" and the possibility
of that scenario has not stopped anyone from buying cell phones.

I guess many people don't realize it, but the modern radios today are
filled with proprietary chips. Most being related to the DSP chips in
our radios. Those proprietary chips have not stopped anyone from buying
any of those radios.

Finally, if DVSI made huge price increases on their Codecs, I think the
government might have something to say with an anti-trust action as I am
quite sure public service agencies (police, fire) would be screaming
about the price increases to their radios forcing the government to take
action.

In summary, it will not happen.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com