[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Tom Azlin N4ZPT tom at n4zpt.org
Fri Jan 6 18:29:37 EST 2012

Make that IMBE for first generation P25. Still a DVSI product.

Royalties - seems like a bunch of urban myths here. The DVSI site says
no royalties or licensing fees for buying their vocoders chips and
putting them in radios. see http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a2020.htm for
an example.  I did not have to pay any royalty to buy the AMBE vocoder
chips. something like $8 for surface mount and $18 for DIP in volume. I
got mine for $23 each.

Might be royalties to build to APCO Project 25, DMR, etc. standards. But
no royalties to build to the JARL standard or use an AMBE vocoder seems
to me.

73, tom n4zpt