[aprssig] OT WARNING: Fake Linked-In Invites Being Sent Through APRSsig List

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 20:44:33 EST 2012

On 1/4/2012 7:40 PM, Rick Green wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
>

>   Yes, I know those techniques.  The links in the message actually pointed to
> linkedin itself, not to a look-alike phishing site.
>
>  I guess I should have phrased my question differently, like "WHat was it
> about this message that told you it wasn't from Linkedin?"

This is what is strange, and has apparently raised phishing to a whole new
level.  It WAS from the real Linked-In site.

The link in the invite sent me to a clone of my own account on the real
Linked-In website.    It was weird seeing myself (i.e. my real account) listed
as "someone you might be interested in".....  (Apparently based on common work
background and interests.)  Of course, I had to log in to discover this.

When I noticed something was weird, I immediately logged out, closed the
browser, ran a comprehensive system scan for cookies and applets, etc and then
rebooted.  I then logged into my real account directly from the FireFox browser
and immediately changed my password.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths