[aprssig] OT WARNING: Fake Linked-In Invites Being Sent Through APRSsig List

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Jan 4 19:40:44 EST 2012

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Steve Noskowicz wrote:

> --- Rick Green wrote:
>>
>>   How do you distinguish this from a 'legitimate'
>> Linkedin invitation?
>

> Hover the mouse over the aparent link in the email.  Browsers show the true URL at the bottom of the window.
>
> OR  If the true URL won't show this way...
>
> Do a Copy (right click) Link (may be called Copy Address or Target) then paste into the URL location at the top, but DO NOT hit enter.

   Yes, I know those techniques.  The links in the message actually pointed
to linkedin itself, not to a look-alike phishing site.

  I guess I should have phrased my question differently, like "WHat was it
about this message that told you it wasn't from Linkedin?"

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009