[aprssig] OT WARNING: Fake Linked-In Invites Being Sent Through APRSsig List

KB5ILY - Travis W. Burton kb5ily at arrl.net
Thu Jan 5 00:00:35 EST 2012

For me a big tip off is.... The fact that it came through [aprssig].

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Rick Green wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
>

>> --- Rick Green wrote:
>>>
>>>   How do you distinguish this from a 'legitimate'
>>> Linkedin invitation?
>>

>> Hover the mouse over the aparent link in the email.  Browsers show the true
>> URL at the bottom of the window.
>>
>> OR  If the true URL won't show this way...
>>
>> Do a Copy (right click) Link (may be called Copy Address or Target) then
>> paste into the URL location at the top, but DO NOT hit enter.
>>

>  Yes, I know those techniques.  The links in the message actually pointed to
> linkedin itself, not to a look-alike phishing site.
>
> I guess I should have phrased my question differently, like "WHat was it
> about this message that told you it wasn't from Linkedin?"
>
> --
> Rick Green
>
> "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
>                                  -Benjamin Franklin
>
> "As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
> safety and our ideals."
>                               -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009

73 de Travis KB5ILY
870-260-6068 (Phone)
--
             Travis W. Burton, NP, ESQ., KB5ILY / Arkadelphia AR
                 President, DeGray Amateur Radio club, Inc.
                       Internet: mailto:kb5ily at arrl.net
          http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=9877
                          WWW:  http://www.kb5ily.org
                    GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA
Only he who Attempts the Ridiculous can Achieve the Impossible. (WILL HENRY)
                    Linux is my operating system of choice.

                    Computers are like Air Conditioners,
              they stop working correctly when you open windows.