[aprssig] SPOT engine on APRS.FI

la3qma at aprs.la la3qma at aprs.la
Tue Feb 21 09:05:44 EST 2012

Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb at homeside.to>:

> Wrong SPOT and a bad choice of words by Bob.  It's more like a POI
> (point of interest) being an APRS message-initiated remote object

I second this. Almost at the same time as VK2US i developed a
SPOT2APRS system creating a OBJECT and posted this on APRS-IS. A bit
different approach technically but it's working.

> creation server..  In fact, I'd suggest we call the server POI or
> something just to avoid such confusion since many, many people know

A POI server is interesting as i do not like the "tactical callsign"
method as this also requires the users to include their callsign in
the comment/status field.

Another thing is that this is not an object but a regular "station".

The possibility to "post" a OBJECT/ITEM is a great idea and maybe more
advanced functions could be added later after the format has been
agreed on.

Playing more with the idea maybe the DF Report could be added?
i.e sending "speed PHG RNG SignalStrength Comment" to DF and this is
then finding your position and then create a DF object/report:
=4903.50N/07201.75W\000/036/270/729

Usually people don't need this every day just as with the EMAIL,
CQSRV, ISS modules etc but it's a great tool if and when you need them.

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA