[aprssig] RFM22B UHF Transceiver Module

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 12 18:22:19 EST 2012

> A while ago (22 September) Bob posted a message about the RFM22 modules. I
> was working on a TNC for the Raspberry PI at the time, so decided to try
> building a TNC round these modules.

Fantastic Work, John.  And of course, another tiny device for APRS is
a great project, but when I first saw this chip and its ability to do 100 kB
so cheaply, I actually was thinking more of a tiny $20 box that *EVERY*
ham on the planet might put up on his antenna tower or mast and
become another node in an all-ham digital backbone.

It would not be limited to just APRS type situational awareness, but
would be that general purpose digital network we have always needed in
emergenceis.

The transciever in a cigareete sized package on the tower with nothing but
data and power coming into the shack would maximize RF range and minimize
installation effort.

Also it would make a great "club project".  If cost was low enough, and
some hams still did not want to btoher, then others in the club would
buy one for every hamd so tht the network was dense, and not just
a few adopters... but EVERY ham with a PC supports the network
as well as every hams CAR too.

Just dreaming outloud of that ham cloud ON RF.

Bob, WB4APR