[aprssig] RFM22B UHF Transceiver Module

John Wiseman john.wiseman at cantab.net
Thu Dec 13 01:07:27 EST 2012

Bob,

The board wasn't designed with APRS in mind - APRS was just a very simple
way of proving it worked and getting some idea of the range that could be
achieved. The aim was to make it part of a network node - initially running
a high speed backbone within the current packet network (ie NETROM)
achitecture, but with possibilities for a better mesh based system in the
future. I haven't yet tested above 9600, but that is on the to-do list. The
RFM23BP also gives another 10 dB outpur with very little cost increase, and
is software compatible. I did look at the RFM12, but it is a differenct
architecture, and more difficult to program.

You don't even need a data feed to the shack - just have another module
there - and maybe it could even run off solar power, although that of course
would take you well over the $20.

Keep dreaming!

John