[aprssig] Fwd: updated forecast for CNSP-18

Mark Conner mconner1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:24:20 EST 2012

I'm not sure what to say about this.  All of the wind forecasts show that
the balloon should be on a course of 080 but instead it's turning ESE and
slowing down.  The balloon hasn't really descended tonight either.

Right now CNSP-18 is about 1000 miles from the Azores, moving at 135 miles
per hour and on a course to pass over or just north of the center of the
island group.  It should be in range of the Azores stations (if tuned to
144.39) around 07-08 UTC.  My concern is that it will continue to slow down
and turn more to the south tomorrow, possibly too much for it to reach the
coast of Portugal or Morocco before the batteries die.  At this point I
don't think it'll be possible for it to turn back to the northeast and
reach France or the UK, but stranger things have happened.

Hopefully some Azores stations can be contacted tomorrow morning (their
time) and we'll get updates from there.  Perhaps some have been alerted
already.  I think we'll need Portuguese and Spanish stations as well.

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up farther north, it sure looked like we were
on an express train to London for a while.

You can take a look at the wind charts I've been using at
http://nstar.org/GFS - select 10mb for winds at about 100,000 ft.

73 de Mark N9XTN