[aprssig] Detailed review of APRS-capable HTs

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 23:42:51 EDT 2012

One oversight in the reviews is that the Yaesus have no equivalent of the
Kenwood "PACKET" mode where the radio's internal APRS firmware drops out of the
picture, allowing an APRS application on an external computer to run things.
(I.e. just like a conventional radio with external TNC.)

Not being able to run an external APRS mapping application like APRSis32 or
UIview on a laptop connected to the Yaesu is a serious shortcoming, and for me
is a deal-breaker.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC
    http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/UZ7HO-Soundmodem-Install-Ver-0.44-Beta.exe

High Quality Calibrated Static Maps for Any APRS App
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PM9_StatiicMap_Export.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths