[aprssig] Detailed review of APRS-capable HTs

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Mon Apr 30 23:17:36 EDT 2012

Hi John:

I received a update post from eham.net, then read your post here.  Thank
you for writing up these rig reviews.  They will be very helpful to hams
considering any of the three units mentioned.

An additional hickup of the vx8gr is the time setting.  It doesn't do
daylight savings time well at all, this then completely throws off your
slist/message logs.  I also have the ft-350 and it's got many bugs--too
many really.  Kenwood updates their equipment, Yaesu doesn't (unless
users buy the expensive kit for the ft-350) which basically leaves users
stranded with the buggy and expensive gear.

One last thing, I feel is critical to the vx8gr, is that users must
ignore the "weather alert" function.  I found myself in two situations
where tornadoes were nipping at my heals.  Each time, neither the vx8gr
nor the ftm-10sr rigs alerted me to the danger!  The weather alert is a
*very dangerous gimmick*.  When I studied the information prior to
purchase, this alert function was an important ingredient to my decision
to buy the vx8gr over a fully weather tight (motorcycle friendly) gps
unit that includes dependable working weather alert function!

Kenwood didn't have their HT rig available when I took my long 2 month
motorcycle ride, so I used the vx8gr.  It lived in a saddle bag the 90%
of the time!  I can tell you that it is a tough little rig!

I would have bought the Kenwood just to get updates, but the Yaesu did a
good job pinging away in that cold, wet saddle bag.

Again, thank you for the good reviews!

73 om