[aprssig] 12V wiring ideas

david vanhorn kc6ete at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 12:30:37 EDT 2011

Exactly.   Under non-ideal situations, without expensive single-use tools,
solder seems to be a quite practical way to attach these connectors.

However, we are experiencing severe topic drift.   I did end up with a
small simple powerpole "harmonica" which I will use under the dash to break
out the connections.   I will be wiring a direct return path to the
battery, with fuses at the battery in both legs.  My main reason for this
is that I don't want to end up with alternator ripple current expressed as
voltage in my ground return.  Also, I don't believe in the general idea of
letting return currents pick their own path. They will take all possible
paths, including through the vehicle cooling system potentially causing
corrosion problems.

I also picked up a Whattmeter yesterday, which is a very cute little tool.

>From Ebay arrived the switching boost converter which will charge the rear
battery, with dropout set to fire when the alternator switches off and the
bus power drops below 13.5V.  Since those radios draw about 100mA at idle,
and transmit very infrequently, the boost converter will do nicely at
keeping that battery charged.

Now I just have to find another warm day to Git Er Done!