[aprssig] ISS Tracking & Pass Information (OBJECTS)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Oct 14 21:14:36 EDT 2011

> I almost added a "free" position beacon when responding
> to a query, but then realized that these satellites
> are APRS objects, and not stations.

In APRS, once received, and captured to the station list, OBJECTS were to be
treated NO DIFFERENTLY than stations.  This was fundamental to APRS.  They
were just two methods of sending the same POSITION information depending on
whether the sender had to use a TNC to send it (MYCALL is the things name)
or an  OBJECT Format so that the things name could be different from the
MYCALL.

UIVIEW screwed it up by treating OBJECTS and STATIONS differently, and that
was simply wrong and a fault of UIview.  It s hould not b e the basis for
other designs.

OBJECTS and STATIONS should be treated the same once received.

> I suspect that the APRS-IS servers will not forward an object packet
> behind a message packet..

Then it is faulty code.

> and I don't think it would be wise to transmit a position
> update as if the satellite was actually a station.

It should not matter.  Sent as a station or as an object, it should be the
same "thing" in APRS.  That was the fundamental design of APRS (though
incorrectly implemented in UIview).

This was always a powerful tool for using the APRS-IS to get important
information out to people that were messaging out of area.  It allowed them
to MESSAGE something, and SEE where it was in the "Igate's one-time courtesy
response".

TO avoid the problem even in UIview, it wouild be nice if you originated the
object on the APRS-IS as if it was a station by the satellite's name.  But
this station's position should only be the LIVE-NOW posit.  We cannot have
past, present and future positions all over the globe...

Bob, Wb4APR