[aprssig] ISS Tracking & Pass Information

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Oct 14 20:12:36 EDT 2011

Like I posted earlier, I'm monitoring all messages on the APRS-IS stream
for ones addressed to a satellite.  I need to keep the message addressed
very unique so as not to collide with other APRS users.

If I made you send the satellite name to a dedicated server name (say
SATSRV), then I could make it respond to practically anything, but
people would soon forget who to send the message to.  By making the
addressee be the satellite name and the message content be anything you
want, it'll be easier to remember which will hopefully make it get used
more often and not die out over time.

And it'd be even longer to have to type a message to "SATSRV" just to be
able to type "51" as the satellite name.  I'll take sending "x" to
"AO51" vs sending "51" to "SATSRV" any day.

PS.  Remember, you must be in range of a bi-directional message gating
IGate for this to work from a radio.  KD8QWT-7 just retried his request
three times because he apparently wasn't getting my acks back.   And
based on the 5 retries each of the three responses went through without
an ack from him, I'd say he didn't get those either.

If you need a refresher on APRS messaging, check out
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained