[aprssig] Satellite positions: Objects or Stations?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Oct 14 21:26:44 EDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 9:14 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> TO avoid the problem even in UIview, it wouild be nice if you originated the
> object on the APRS-IS as if it was a station by the satellite's name.  But
> this station's position should only be the LIVE-NOW posit.  We cannot have
> past, present and future positions all over the globe...

Ok, before I change the ISS from an object to a station, and possibly
start beaconing live positions for any queried satellites, I'd like to
get a consensus from the aprssig.  I made the ISS satellite an object
sourced by KJ4ERJ-15 to provide for trackability and to adhere to the
established norms (as I saw them, at least) that stations were "real"
and objects were "manufactured".  Yes, they may be designed to be
displayed the same, but there was some resistance to making RFID-implied
locations "stations" rather than "objects" as it was somehow deemed
"spoofing" something that wasn't really APRS.

Yes, these are satellites and not representative of potentially real
individuals, but before I write code that is less traceable as to the
source of the posits, I'd like to be able to point back to a consensus
of individuals (call it "group-think"?) rather than a unilateral
decision that may come back to haunt me two days/weeks/years after I put
in operation.

So, Satellite Objects?  Or Source-Calls / Stations?  Weigh in with your
opinion on the list or off and I'll see where the consensus lies in a
few days' time.

PS. The positions being beaconed will be LIVE and the descriptions will
be generic, not location specific.  If you want AOS/LOS information,
either send a message to the satellite (see earlier thread about ISS
Tracking & Pass Information) or look it up elsewhere.

Oh, but the posits will have a MultiLine encoding
(http://www.aprs-is.net/WX/MultilineProtocol.aspx) of their approximate
coverage area so that clients that support such displays will be able to
see it.  This will appear as random characters on non-supporting
clients, unfortunately.