[aprssig] ISS Tracking & Pass Information

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Oct 14 13:54:02 EDT 2011

Wait a minute here.  Let me bring this back into context.

a) I will be allowing, but not requiring the dash in the satellite
name.  As was pointed out, Yaesu radios can only send messages to
AX.25-compliant station IDs, regardless of the fact that an
APRS-IS-resident station is not constrained by this restriction and the
APRS spec never puts such station's callsigns in the AX.25 header, but
only in the payload for messaging.

b) I've got a program that's listening to EVERY message passing on the
APRS-IS stream and monitoring that stream for actual satellite
callsigns.  If I start doing "lazy matches" on that stream, I'll end up
responding to lots of things that weren't directed to me.  "SAG" comes
to mind as I'm sure I could think that is some sort of satellite name.

No, if the messages were directed to "SATSRV" or something else that is
specific (and hard to remember), I could be loose and flexible in the
interpretation of the content.  But I want to keep this simple by having
the messages sent to the satellite name as if it were the station being
addressed.  It works, but I really can't be loose in the interpretation.