[aprssig] ISS Tracking & Pass Information

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Oct 14 19:39:20 EDT 2011

The satellite tracking pass response system will now respond to messages
addressed to the alphanumeric version (sans special characters) of the
satellite's common names from the TLEs.  This means you can use AO-51 or
AO51 which is easier to type on many radios and should work on Yaesu
radios for satellites with 6 or fewer alphanumeric characters in their
name.  Other platforms should be able to query a satellite with up to 9
alphanumeric characters as that is the limit of the message field in the
APRS spec.

I almost added a "free" position beacon when responding to a query, but
then realized that these satellites are APRS objects, and not stations.
I suspect that the APRS-IS servers will not forward an object packet
behind a message packet and I don't think it would be wise to transmit a
position update as if the satellite was actually a station.  So, unless
you're querying the ISS, the actual current position of the satellite
won't be transmitted.

Now, when Item-In-Message gets more broadly implemented (beyond
APRSISCE/32, that is), I could followup the pass information query with
one of those so you can actually see the satellite along with the
MultiLine-described coverage area as the ISS object does that I'm
currently injecting into APRS-IS every two minutes.

Lynn (D) - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32