[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Sun Nov 13 12:04:22 EST 2011

At 11:40 AM 11/13/2011, Andrew P. wrote:

>As far as I'm personally concerned, .pos files are a perfectly
>reasonable format for external storage of objects. Since I haven't
>picked a file format for this in the app I'm authoring, I might as
>well pick .pos file format (unless it is a proprietary licensed
>format I'd have to pay a fortune to use; is it?).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a tool that will automatically convert
from _any_ common GPS or mapping program data file format to .POS
format. This makes exporting object locations from a mapping program
or a GPS to an APRS client at bit of a pain in the behind. I do have
an Excel spreadsheet that automates some of the tedium (such as
converting lat/lon to UI-View's format), but getting to the point of
having a .POS file that I can open in UI-View or APRSIS/32 is still a
multi-step process.

My suggestion would be to dump the .POS format and use something a
little more common in the GPS and map program world such as .GPX
(http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp).

Bob...