[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 12:16:38 EST 2011

On 11/13/2011 12:04 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
> At 11:40 AM 11/13/2011, Andrew P. wrote:
>
>> As far as I'm personally concerned, .pos files are a perfectly reasonable
>> format for external storage of objects. Since I haven't picked a file format
>> for this in the app I'm authoring, I might as well pick .pos file format
>> (unless it is a proprietary licensed format I'd have to pay a fortune to
>> use; is it?).

NO

> Unfortunately, I haven't found a tool that will automatically convert from
> _any_ common GPS or mapping program data file format to .POS format.

> This makes exporting object locations from a mapping program or a GPS to an
> APRS client at bit of a pain in the behind.

The POS format is the same as standard-format as over-air-air APRS-format
position reports.  The easy way to generate these is to send an object to the
APRS-IS, then copy/paste the string from the raw packet display at findu or
APRS-FI.

On UIview, at least, it's trivially easy to generate these objects for
transmission.  Click on the desired location on the map, and then open the
Object Editor.  The clicked lat/long will already be filled in. Add the desired
icon/overlay and then beacon it to the APRS-IS.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7