[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 13 11:40:47 EST 2011

Of course .pos files are an application-specific feature. The issue is, is your (arbitrary competing) app compatible with the reigning standard application where it matters?

Look at Microsoft Office. For better or worse, it is the de-facto standard for business documents. So OpenOffice, WordPerfect, etc., all have to read and write documents in the Microsoft Office formats (not just their native file formats).

So, are UIView .pos files a de-facto interchange file format? Are there other applications commonly used by APRS users that read and write these files that a replacement for UIView would need to handle that file format in order to be compatible with those other apps? If .pos is a de-facto standard (regardless of what's in the official APRS standards), then software authors ignore it at their own peril.

As far as I'm personally concerned, .pos files are a perfectly reasonable format for external storage of objects. Since I haven't picked a file format for this in the app I'm authoring, I might as well pick .pos file format (unless it is a proprietary licensed format I'd have to pay a fortune to use; is it?). And nothing says an app can't support both the "standard" format _and_ the app's own native file format (presumably with some additional benefits to justify not using the "standard" format).

Just my $.03 (inflation you know ;-).

Andrew Pavlin KA2DDO