[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 08:38:19 EST 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/2011 1:16 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
>
>> Greetings, all.
>>

>> 1. With a receive-only feed (radio or Internet), does it make sense to
>> allow the user to create or edit objects? They can't send them to the
>> public. Is there a need in general to be able to create private
>> objects/items in a local APRS client?
>>

> UIview handles these as a separate class of point objects called
> "overlays" (not to be confused with the overlays possible in Precision
> Mapping when used with UIview).
>
> These "overlays" are contained in a text file with the extension ".pos",
> that use the same format as over-the-air APRS position report. However,
> they only show on your own screen and are not transmitted.
>
> They DO show in screen caps of the UIview map used with the UIiview web
> server which is very useful.   For example when tracking balloon launches
> on my UIwebserver, I will pin the launch site and other nearby points of
> interest/reference as an "overlay" on the map.
>
> A typical "POS" file,  which can contain any number of points, looks like
> this when opened in a text editor like Windows Notepad:
>
> ** Overlay Objects for N1VG Balloon Launch
> Launch!3524.78N/11757.90WO Launch Site
> RedRocks!3520.71N/11758.25WJ Red Rocks Park
> Baker!3515.90N/11604.48WJ City of Baker
> JPL!3412.01N\11810.40Wo
>
> Note that the same control codes for symbol/icon display, used in
> over-the-air posits, works in these overlays.

It should be noted that additional information can be saved for a overlay
object by using a status >  packet. For example:

*NameIt :)!4240.50NX08300.00W?Main information here.- name up to 9 long
*NameIt :)>use status for addition information, freq list, contact info,
etc.
*
*  *** Mid Michigan MS-150 Day 1 Rest Stops 2011
*
GAINES!4252.20N/08354.72W7Rest 1
GAINES>Gaines Elementary School 300 Lansing St., Gaines
BYRON!4249.46N/08356.93W6Rest 2
BYRON>Byron High School 312 W Maple, Byron
BANCROFT!4252.98N/08404.13W5Rest 3
BANCROFT>Shiawassee Twp Fire Dept 625 E Grand River Rd, Bancroft
LUNCH!4248.42N/08405.14W4Lunch for all riders
LUNCH>Poe Residence 3745 E. Beard Rd. Morrice
SHAFTBRG!4248.31N/08417.94W3Rest 5
SHAFTBRG>Shaftsburg Elem. 7320 West Beard Rd., Perry
WILLMSTON!4241.46N/08416.98W2Rest 6
WILLMSTON>McCormick Park Putnam and High St, Williamston
*

UI-View and APRSISCE/32 both support the file in this format.

Randy
WF5X