[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 14:03:07 EST 2011

On 11/11/2011 1:16 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>

> 1. With a receive-only feed (radio or Internet), does it make sense to allow the user to create or edit objects? They can't send them to the public. Is there a need in general to be able to create private objects/items in a local APRS client?

UIview handles these as a separate class of point objects called "overlays"
(not to be confused with the overlays possible in Precision Mapping when used
with UIview).

These "overlays" are contained in a text file with the extension ".pos", that
use the same format as over-the-air APRS position report. However, they only
show on your own screen and are not transmitted.

They DO show in screen caps of the UIview map used with the UIiview web server
which is very useful.   For example when tracking balloon launches on my
UIwebserver, I will pin the launch site and other nearby points of
interest/reference as an "overlay" on the map.

A typical "POS" file,  which can contain any number of points, looks like this
when opened in a text editor like Windows Notepad:

** Overlay Objects for N1VG Balloon Launch
Launch!3524.78N/11757.90WO Launch Site
RedRocks!3520.71N/11758.25WJ Red Rocks Park
Baker!3515.90N/11604.48WJ City of Baker
JPL!3412.01N\11810.40Wo

Note that the same control codes for symbol/icon display, used in over-the-air
posits, works in these overlays.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7