[aprssig] Kenwood D710 Mic protocol

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:19:22 EST 2011

I'm in the beginning stages of an idea here...
I picked up one of these little gadgets at the local hamfest for $30:
http://www.ergonomicsmadeeasy.com/store/iphone-accessories/product/itiny-bluetooth-keyboard/

Basically, it's a Bluetooth keyboard almost exactly the same size as my
Samsung Galaxy smartphone.  It works great with my cellphone, but I want
more.

My thought is to build a simple microcontroller that sits in-line with
My D710 mic cable.  It could draw off the 8V line on that connector, and
have a bluetooth transceiver in it and a pic or avr chip that generates
the appropriate 'serial' protocol to simulate mic keypad presses.  By
doing that, I could use this handy little wireless, full function
keyboard for APRS text messaging.  Normal keypad presses would be passed
through from the mic, but any keypad presses sent over bluetooth would
be translated from the character sent to the appropriate serial protocol
for the mic (including multiple presses, if necessary, i.e. you have to
hit '2' three times to generate a "C".

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any published specs on the protocol
that the Kenwood mic uses to talk to the D710.  According to the
"TM-D710 Instruction Manual" page 15, pin 8 is "keypad serial data."

I'm thinking it would eventually be about a $100 add-on to the radio to
have wireless keyboard messaging ($30 for the keyboard, and $60 or so
for the dongle that goes in-line with the mic cable.  Heck, a really
smart guy would include a standard USB host connector in there too, so
you could plug in a standard USB keyboard (i.e. one of those rubber,
roll-up jobs you get for $10 at hamfests).

Anyone?

John Gorkos
AB0OO