[aprssig] Reply-Ack Spec vs }AA

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Nov 6 08:50:30 EST 2011

No, I believe this IS that important.  Can you guide me through your
interpretation of the Reply-Ack specification from
http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/replyacks.txt and tell me where you believe
that it says that a trailing }06 on your AA: example should be
interpreted as a ReplyAck?  As I read that spec, {MM}AA is a reply ack,
{MM} is an ack that implies that the ack-issuer is Reply-Ack capable,
but }AA is just another bit of message text and part of the AA: that
should display "AA:I'm not here }06" to the recipient.

The } is only a Reply-Ack delimiter when contained within a {seq as far
as I can see in the spec.

What did I miss here?

PS. Sections of the spec that I find particularly relevant:

(Nothing about }AA being anything in particular)
> Original APRS ACK:  {#####<== There were no restrictions on #####
> New 1999 REPLY ACK: {MM}AA<== This embedds ACK in next outgoing msg

(Nothing about standalone }AA, just "embedded")
> COMPATIBILITY:  100% backwards compatible with all code.  The REPLY ACKS
> are embedded in the 5 digit line number.  Old code doesn't care.

(Nothing about "if no ack is needed back, then }AA is used")
> The format for the line number for outgoing message numbers is
> "{MM}AA" where MM is the outgoing message number and AA is the "free ACK"
> if needed.  If no ACK is pending, then the message # is "{MM}".

(Only append AA, not }AA)
> 1) ... But AA is only appended at the INSTANT of transmission.

(Only look for AA in the ack/seq, not }AA in every message)
> 2) RECEIVE messages and look for AA.  IF AA matches the MM of one of your
>     outgoing messages, then consider that message ACKED.

(Buffer with {MM}, not just buffer with } if no ack is needed, the AA
gets added before transmission, but ONLY if you're buffering an {MM} and
requesting a corresponding ack)
> 6) Note, that in #1, above, that when the user prepares each message line,
>     that it is buffered up with only the {MM} line number on the end.
>     The AA (if pending) is not attached until the instant that packet is
>     transmitted.

So, where did I miss the spec that would have said something like:
(THIS IS NOT IN THE SPEC!)
Queue non-ack-requesting messages with a trailing } and append any
pending AA at the instant that packet is transmitted.
(THIS IS NOT IN THE SPEC!)

Oh, and it would probably have also described:
(THIS IS NOT IN THE SPEC!)
A message with just a trailing } indicates that the message sender is
not requesting an ack for this message, but is indicating that it is
Reply-Ack capable.
(THIS IS NOT IN THE SPEC!)

Nope, I'm just not seeing either of the above nor anything that
describes }AA.