[aprssig] AUTO-ANSWER SPEC [AA]

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 3 13:28:28 EDT 2011

>> 1) Any AA message should begin with AA:
>> 2) Any such AA message should not have a Line number
>> 3) Any such AA message is only sent once on each incoming message packet
>> 4) Any such AA message should be canceled when the client detects the
return
>> of the operator
>> 5) Any such AA message should default to OFF on power up.

> Can you tell me where this came from...

Dozens of emails back and forth between all authors in the 1995 time frame.
All lost to history now...

> Also, I deviate from #3 with a "Not More Than" timer that suppresses
> multiple AA: responses to a single station for a time period after the
> first one is issued.

Great.  The intent was to make sure that no author interpreted an AA:
message as a need to PUSH multiple retries to deliver and AA message.  No,
in that sense the AA: message is not a message, but is a kind of a human NAK

>  That way, if a station wants to send you multiple
> messages for you to see when you get back, s/he
> doesn't get your AA:

Great idea.  Good addition..

> I really, really don't like sending a multi-line message
> to a station that fires an AA: back to me with each
> line that is received.

AMEN.  Yep, That is why these 5 rules were intended to make sure that no one
could forget an leave these AA messages locked-loaded-and ready to fire
FOREVER!  Ugh...

Bob, Wb4APR