[aprssig] AUTO-ANSWER SPEC [AA]

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Nov 3 13:20:22 EDT 2011

On 11/3/2011 12:47 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> p.S.  The [AA] was in error.  Here is the complete requirement:
>
> 1) Any AA message should begin with AA:
> 2) Any such AA message should not have a Line number
> 3) Any such AA message is only sent once on each incoming message packet
> 4) Any such AA message should be canceled when the client detects the return
> of the operator
> 5) Any such AA message should default to OFF on power up.

Can you tell me where this came from so I can go read a few more
specifications that I apparently missed?  Either that or I DID read it
and that's why I used AA:...

Also, I deviate from #3 with a "Not More Than" timer that suppresses
multiple AA: responses to a single station for a time period after the
first one is issued.  That way, if a station wants to send you multiple
messages for you to see when you get back, s/he doesn't get your AA:
back from each one.  Yes, I do realize that sending once coupled with no
Line number (sequence/ack request) means that the recipient may or may
not receive the AA:, but that's a risk I'm good with.  The AA: is a
nice-to-have to start with, and I really, really don't like sending a
multi-line message to a station that fires an AA: back to me with each
line that is received.

To read about APRSISCE/32's Auto-Reply feature (non-polished), see
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/auto-reply