[aprssig] TAPR Dayton Solar Talk

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat May 28 23:52:45 EDT 2011

We should move this to the SolarDIY at yahoogroup.com  But since I was in error, I should correct it here...

> Your ideas are a little dated.
> Last year China used more energy than the US.

I stand corrected.  After I sent my email, I noticed that I had used the wrong column of data.  I used the 1990 figure.  Oops.  Yes, I agree last year with our recession, China used more energy than we did.  But at least they are on the right track of heavily investing in wind and solar, ALSO ahead of us...

> Our consumption has remained relatively unchanged.
> I suppose this is because of people like you who
> are willing to reduce their standard of living for
> some abstract ideas that you really don't understand......

I'll take that as a compliment for doing my share of reducing my carbon footprint.  All of my home electricity comes from solar and wind. 8 kW grid-tie array in the backyard plus any balance I use comes from wind (just sign up with your power company for the type of juice you want to pay for)...
My 4 driver family's cars get 55,57,48 and 33MPG... so Yes, I have drastically cut our energy consumption with NO change in lifestyle.  In fact, I hope to improve my lifestyle in the next year or so by getting a Plug-in EV so that I never have to use any Arab oil too.

If you define lifestyle as driving around in an SUV with TV's in the back of each seat to rot the brains of your kids and getting a bigger lage-screen TV every year, then yes, we have a different idea of what lifestyle is all about.

Bob, Wb4APR