[aprssig] TAPR Dayton Solar Talk

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Sat May 28 11:39:06 EDT 2011

Brian B. Riley writes:

> If someone is really wanting to cut their carbon footprint and reduce
> their e-bill, they can do it a heck of a lot more cheaply by examining
> all their electric appliances, researching them, and when they need
> replacing spend extra for energy efficiency. Example, I bought a Staber
> 2000 series clothes washer for $900 10 years ago whose water and power
> usage is 1/3rd of its competitors at the time. Its only in the last 3-4
> years that the competitors have caught up and my Staber is still going
> strong.

Yes, rich people like you and me and almost everybody on this list
can do whatever we want, but does it matter? Much of CO2 comes from
burning coal mines in Russia and China etc. And most people buy $300
washing machines because of the price.

> Of course there's all  the incandescent bulbs that can be replaced
> with compact PLs

It helps a lot when you have to warm up the house in these northern
climates anyway. BTW. have you ever noticed that the compact PL's are
made of hazardous substances, and most cheap brands have very poor
efficiency in the power supply section?

I vote for moving this thread somewhere else.

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!