[aprssig] TAPR Dayton Solar Talk

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 22 18:43:46 EDT 2011

> However one point.. Grid tie solar is only
> functional when the grid is powered.

Thanks for bringing up this often very missleading topic...

But in my area, the grid is up 99.95% of the time.  The grid goes down maybe 4 hours a year or so (0.05%).  If the house load is about 3 kW with everything on normally, that is the loss of less than $2 worth of electricity.  Like any ham, Most of us already have many mechanisms for coping with those few hours.

> However you can go with solar that uses a
> battery bank and a whole house inverter that
> has a grid tie option, when the grid fails
> it switches your household to the inverter
> and draws from the battery bank...

But that is a major mistake that too many people make when thinking about solar.  It makes no economical sense to provide that $2 of power-out electricity per year by adding the additional $10,000 for the dual-inverter/charger and a wall of batteries.  There are much more economical approaches to back-up power than batteries...  And this has nothing to do with the economics of grid-tie solar.

For economical solar, one must completely separate their 99.95% use of economical power (solar) from their requirement for a few hours of backup power.  The optimum solutions for each are completely separate.  THough to some, it might be worth spending the additional $10,000 for a few hours of backup ($2 per year), but that is a completely separate issue from economical solar.

> like having an automatic transfer switch
> and generator but its an inverter and batteries
> charged by solar instead.

But be careful.  Off-grid systems (with battery storage)TRIPLE the cost of solar for the same energy production.  My recommendation is to think of solar for economical energy for the rest of your life, and then to think of a different economical approach to the few hours of power outage a year.  Such as ....  An inverter from your car system, a small $250 generator, a pair of car batteries and an inverter...etc...

Lots of ways other than throwing another $10,000 at the solar system for 4 hours ($2) worth of darkness a year.

In fact, it was that same idea of filling up my basement with batteries that was so uneconomical that it kept me out of solar for so long until I finally realized that batteries have nothing to do with economical solar power.

Separate the two issues in one's mind and then it is amazing how economical grid-tie solar becomes.

> Maybe in another 20 years I can afford it myself..

Another way to look at that, is... If you are paying $200 a month for electricity now, in 20 years, you will have spent $48,000 for electricity and have nothing to show for it.  But if you buy solar now, the government will buy HALF of it for you and for the rest of your life, you will OWN your entire energy generation system and have free energy for life.

That is why I am preaching so much.  My Ham radio background and interest in emergency power and batteries so completely masked the true value and economics of modern grid-tie solar for too long.  I want to help others see around that missconception...

Bob, Wb4APR