[aprssig] TAPR Dayton Solar Talk

KBØNLY kb0nly at mchsi.com
Sun May 22 18:03:49 EDT 2011

Solar is getting cheaper..  However one point for those that read that well
thought out email from Bob.

Grid tie solar is only functional when the grid is powered.  So in the case
of a power loss it shuts down as well to prevent backfeeding the grid, so
you can not be off the grid with grid tie solar.  However you can go with
solar that uses a battery bank and a whole house inverter that has a grid
tie option, when the grid fails it switches your household to the inverter
and draws from the battery bank, like having an automatic transfer switch
and generator but its an inverter and batteries charged by solar instead.

Lots of new options for solar these days and only getting cheaper!  Maybe in
another 20 years I can afford it myself.. LOL

73,

Scott KBØNLY