[aprssig] recommendations for 9600 TNC

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri May 6 13:10:18 EDT 2011

On 5/6/2011 7:59 AM, Tom Hayward wrote:
> In the Pacific Northwest we've been using Kenwood TM-D710s with their
> internal TNC, some with the built-in digipeater and some with aprx.

I was going to suggest something similar.  There must be a lot of D700s,
retired from mobile service in favor of D710s,  floating around. Perhaps one of
those, second-hand, might be a solution.

  9600 baud operation requires direct access to the receiver discriminator and
transmit modulator.  If the radio doesn't have the 6-pin MiniDIN "data"
connector, this means tapping into points inside the radio to gain access to
the required TX and RX points.

I suspect that many of the current TNC vendors are avoiding 9600 in their
devices, because of the added headaches of technical support and end-user
"hand-holding" that would inevitably result from internal hacking and modding
of radios.

Details on the 6-Pin MIni-DIN "Data"/"Packet" Connector:
. <http://wa8lmf.net/6-Pin-MiniDin-Data-Connector/>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net