[aprssig] Clarification of APRS weather station data flow.

Eric Hansen skyssx at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:22:28 EDT 2011

NWS Cleveland. My callsign is KC8IUR.

The weather station I will be using is the Argent Data. I chose it due to
low price to features included. To get barometric pressure
or humidity values from other companies, you've got to spend a LOT more.
Right now, i'm planning on transmitting RF through a HTX-202 into an Arrow
Antennas GP 146 1/4 wave ground plane mounted inside an attic. The weather
box will need to be mounted under the eaves and the wind/rain assembly is
going to take the place of, and take over the mast of, an old SD DTV dish on
the ridge line. I will run the AD weather station and HTX-202 off a gel-cell
power source, 13.8v nominal. Charging will either be accomplished by solar
power at a later date, or a simple power supply connected in series for the
time being. I will run a data cable from the AD weather station to a mac
mini. I will be able to configure the device and get weather telemetry back
through the same cable. The mac is connected via copper gig ethernet to the
network equipment downstairs. The internet connection is ADSL and everything
in the closet runs off a UPS. Other than the mac itself, everything has
battery power.