[aprssig] KPC3+ induced errors

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 17:54:03 EDT 2011

On 3/15/2011 2:17 PM, Max Harper wrote:
>  You must let them know just how bad this problems is. Send any information
> you have to
> service at kantronics.com <mailto:service at kantronics.com> even if it is just to
> say that you are experencing the delay problem but don't have any other info.
> I am just one voice here. I could not answer their question about
> transmitting and receiving or just receiving.
> Max
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Max:
>
> I have forwarded a copy of your message to our code programmer, when I
> received your message last week. I have not heard back from him as yet.
>
> No one has reported having any problems in KISS mode in the KPC-3 Plus,
> anytime recently (in the last few years).
>
> Are the KPCs used in KISS mode only receiving, or both transmitting and
> receiving?
>

> Ken
> Kantronics Technical Service

The KPC3+ TNCs in question are being used as APRS internet gateways and/or
digipeaters implemented with programs running on external computers (i.e. not
using the internal KPC3+ firmware digi function).

The problem appears after several hours or day running in KISS mode and shows
up as RECEIVED packets being held for long periods (up to several minutes at
times) before being passed out the serial port to the attached computer.  The
TNCs in question are being used for both transmit and receive, but the problem
is on the receive side.

The problem does not appear when the KPC3+ is used as a stand-alone
firmware-based digi, or in conventional command line mode.  (The problem only
shows up when operating in KISS mode.)

It does NOT appear in KISS mode with the earlier original (non "plus") version
of the KPC3.

The problem is showing up on both various flavors of Windows-based systems with
programs such as Uiveiw and APRSisce, and on Linux-based systems running Xastir
so it appears NOT to have anything to do with the way computer OSs are dealing
with serial ports, etc.

Here is another post on the issue from the  CA_APRS Internet mailing list: