[aprssig] Linking digipeaters

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Mar 7 15:52:23 EST 2011

John AB0OO wrote...

> I'm tired of giving my money to old-school ham-radio companies like
> Kantronics that haven't released an original idea in 20 years, who are
> satisfied with the status-quo, and who are overcharging by more than
> $100 for archaic designs.

Kantronics used to be my "favourite" TNC manufacturer, having bout about
a dozen TNCs from them over the years. However, there is the problem with
"delays from KPC3+ TNCs in KISS mode" when run for more than
a week or two, and they don't seem to be willing to do anything about it.

> I'd love to see someone flood the market with cheap AtMega or PIC-based
> KISS-only TNCs with a USB connection.

There is the TNC-X that you mentioned with a USB option available, but
setting the transmit level is done with a pot. What about the OT-USB from
Argent Data? Would that satisfy your needs? It has two serial ports as
well as the USB port, and it can do KISS mode.

www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=148

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH