[aprssig] Linking digipeaters

Phil N6TCT phil_aprssig at lapsley.org
Mon Mar 7 14:43:48 EST 2011

Totally agree, John.

As a low-power alternative to the (very nice) Linux embedded PC you
mentioned below, you might also consider the BeagleBoard: a 3" x 3" 1
GHz embedded ARM processor that runs Linux, has ethernet, onboard stereo
audio (line in and out), and consumes less than 1.5 watts.  It costs
$150.  Running asterisk app_rpt it makes a great repeater controller and
VOIP link, and running something like aprs4r or aprx it could make a
great intelligent digi.  Details at http://beagleboard.org/

BTW, the Black Rock Amateur Radio Association has done something very
similar to what you describe below: a solar-powered repeater on a
mountaintop with a 5 GHz wifi shot back (14 miles or so) to civilization
for VOIP and whatnot.

Phil, N6TCT