[aprssig] Kenwood "TC" command

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jun 16 23:27:16 EDT 2011

On 6/15/2011 6:27 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

> Another D700/D710 issue that nobody has mentioned is the failing
> filters in the D710.  I would love to move my mobile D700 into the
> shack for a data rig and have a 710 in the car, but I won't buy a D710
> unless the seller gives me an extended guarantee on the filters.
> There was a blatant design flaw (DC voltage on filters spec'd for no
> DC) and Kenwood continues to charge for out of warranty filter
> replacements.

I've read on the D710 list that a manufacturing change has been made on
the board around the IF filters apparently to provide DC blocking caps
to remove the bias on the filters which was causing the failures.
That's actually the main reason that I had been able to resist the
temptation to move to a D700/D710 until now.

I was hoping the FTM-350 would be better, but an answer has been
received from their support group indicating that the ability to
transmit from computer control cannot be done due to hardware
limitations and a bunch of the other "defects" cannot be fixed due to
restricted memory inside the unit.  Another first-rev radio bites the
dust for my primary usage desires.

PS.  I'll soon be the new owner of D700 and will do some
command-in-packet experimentation and provide workarounds in a custom
Kwd(D700) port support, I hope.