[aprssig] Kenwood "TC" command (was: new IGate software)

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:27:12 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:
> Are you saying that sending an APRS message that happens to contain the text
> "TC 0" or "TC 1", Kenwood radio TNCs will freak out?   Does this happen only
> in "host" (CONVerse) mode or KISS or both?

That's the control codes in the data buffer issue I mentioned.  I know
it happens in KISS and WL2K implemented a change in their application
rather then letting Kenwood know they have a problem - which makes
sense I guess because the D700 can't be upgraded.  I haven't tried (to
change the freq of all the Kenwoods in the world simultaneously via
aprs-is) ... yet!!!

Bill

Another D700/D710 issue that nobody has mentioned is the failing
filters in the D710.  I would love to move my mobile D700 into the
shack for a data rig and have a 710 in the car, but I won't buy a D710
unless the seller gives me an extended guarantee on the filters.
There was a blatant design flaw (DC voltage on filters spec'd for no
DC) and Kenwood continues to charge for out of warranty filter
replacements.