[aprssig] Kenwood "TC" command (was: new IGate software)

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 18:45:52 EDT 2011

--- Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Are you saying that sending an APRS message that happens to contain the text "TC 0" or "TC 1", Kenwood radio TNCs will freak out?   Does this happen only in "host" (CONVerse) mode or KISS or both?

TC_x is "Transceiver Control" command.  It's main function is to switch between talking to the TNC and the Transceiver for CAT control.
I have an Excel spreadsheet with everything I found added to N0RMO's info.

  I have a complete analysis of the commands and responses in all four modes (off, APRS, Packet/TNC, Packet/Radio). (I didn't test in KISS mode)

Here's a summary from my revised version of N0RMO's commands:

In PKT TNC mode you must switch between TNC and Radio with the TC command
TC has no interrogate command
TC 0 Switches to TNC Control with NO response.  It can also turn the TNC on with attending delay.
TC 1 Switches to Transceiver Control.  Responds TS 1 in Transceiver Mode
TC 1 Switches to Transceiver Control.  Responds "TC 1TS 1" in PKT Mode

73, Steve, K9DCI