[aprssig] Android HUD Development

Tim N9PUZ tim.n9puz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 15:35:17 EDT 2011

On 6/8/2011 1:05 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 8:58 AM, Tim N9PUZ wrote:
>> I may be in the minority here but I would like to see an application
>> that works with a radio that is focused on good tactical messaging.
>
> Please define exactly what you mean by "good tactical messaging".

While the information presented on a map is quite useful I'd actually
like to see an APRS app that either just did messaging or could be
configured so messaging was it's primary mode when it started. I like
the way the messaging works in APRSIS32 by the way. Perhaps what I
really want is a mode where messaging is the main focus and you have to
go a little out of your way to see the map.

>> I don't need a new feature added every week. I don't want something
>> that isn't actively developed.
>
> Wait, don't need new features, but want something that is actively
> developed? If it's being developed, there's going to be new features. If
> there's no new features, what's the point of the development?

I know it probably isn't as much fun as working on the program itself
but new features at a slower pace and documentation so you can figure
out how to do things off line would be a plus. At least, it would to me.

>> I don't care if it can be an iGate.
>
> So, you're using something else to provide message gating for the area?
> Or you're restricting all participants to RF-only communications?

My personal preference is to have smaller applications that do a few
things well. If I give a tool with a lot of features to a new EmComm
recruit they will mess with everything imaginable, wonder why the
program is doing odd things, and still not be able to send and receive
messages. I'm sure one approach would be to tell them to set it up as
told and just use the messaging. Did you ever tell a kid to not "push
the red button" or something similar?

>> I'd like to be able to load all the maps I want ahead of time just by
>> specifying a State and County.
>
> "all the maps" is quite a broad statement. Can you clarify just what
> "all" means to you? And if they're loaded ahead of time, how do you
> account for updates in the ever-changing mapping landscape?

I think it would be useful to tell the program to pre-load all the maps
at the various available levels for a certain county or counties. That
way when I head out mobile or portable where I have to operate "RF Only"
they will be with me. I'd rather have outdated maps than no maps.

Tom Tom gently nags me if I haven't updated my GPS maps for a while.
Perhaps a reminder like that would help keep people in sync.

>> It'd be nice to have a series of messages logged to a file so you had
>> a "paper trail" of what transpired that was easily parse-able (XML?)
>
> Personally, I believe that CSV or plain text is much more portable than
> XML, even though the latter is coming up quickly. And in either case, a
> file is not "paper" unless you've got some good mobile printers to go
> with the application. "audit trail" may be more what you're after?

I'm not particular about the actual format and don't care to print it in
the field unless a served agency requests an individual message. The use
of the term "paper trail" comes from my age and my move towards
geezerdom. ;-)

>> Personally I think a tablet or laptop/netbook version would be much
>> more useful than a smart phone version unless I can plug my TNC/radio
>> into the smart phone.
>
> Actually, with a bluetooth to serial adapter on the TNC, you can connect
> your smart phone to the TNC/radio if you have a suitably capable APRS
> client on the phone.

> PS. I'm asking for details as I AM actively developing an APRS client
> and would like to migrate it to meet as many people's needs as I can,
> but only if those needs are described to an adequate level of detail.

And APRSIS32 is my preferred program. I don't intend to be overly
critical of the work you do, there are just some things like I've tried
to describe above that would make it better for me I believe.

Thanks for all you do Lynn,

Tim N9PUZ