[aprssig] Android HUD Development

Rud Merriam k5rud at arrl.net
Wed Jun 8 15:37:14 EDT 2011

Tim,

What exactly do you mean by "good tactical messaging"? Some examples
would be useful.

I think what you are asking for in this is my original concept about
creating a HUD using a phone. My phone is a 'slider' so has a physical
keyboard which would make messaging fairly easy. Another thought is that
some of the older phones might be reused as just HUDs with the cell
phone capability ignored. (That may take rooting the device to get
around the activation requirements.)

My thoughts are trending toward a very modular approach which allows you
to pick and choose the parts of APRS you want to work with. Only those
parts would be installed.

I'm saving my pennies to get an Android tablet. I do think they will
make a nice APRS platform.

- 73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD
Emergency Coordinator