[aprssig] Android HUD Development

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jun 8 14:05:59 EDT 2011

On 6/7/2011 8:58 AM, Tim N9PUZ wrote:
> I may be in the minority here but I would like to see an application
> that works with a radio that is focused on good tactical messaging.

Please define exactly what you mean by "good tactical messaging".

> I don't need a new feature added every week. I don't want something
> that isn't actively developed.

Wait, don't need new features, but want something that is actively
developed?  If it's being developed, there's going to be new features.
If there's no new features, what's the point of the development?

> I don't care if it can be an iGate.

So, you're using something else to provide message gating for the area?
Or you're restricting all participants to RF-only communications?

> I don't care if the application talks directly to the Internet or the
> APRS servers.

What's the difference between "Internet" and "APRS servers"?  Is there a
difference?

> I'd like to be able to load all the maps I want ahead of time just by
> specifying a State and County.

"all the maps" is quite a broad statement.  Can you clarify just what
"all" means to you?  And if they're loaded ahead of time, how do you
account for updates in the ever-changing mapping landscape?

> It'd be nice to have a series of messages logged to a file so you had
> a "paper trail" of what transpired that was easily parse-able (XML?)

Personally, I believe that CSV or plain text is much more portable than
XML, even though the latter is coming up quickly.  And in either case, a
file is not "paper" unless you've got some good mobile printers to go
with the application.  "audit trail" may be more what you're after?

> Personally I think a tablet or laptop/netbook version would be much
> more useful than a smart phone version unless I can plug my TNC/radio
> into the smart phone.

Actually, with a bluetooth to serial adapter on the TNC, you can connect
your smart phone to the TNC/radio if you have a suitably capable APRS
client on the phone.

PS.  I'm asking for details as I AM actively developing an APRS client
and would like to migrate it to meet as many people's needs as I can,
but only if those needs are described to an adequate level of detail.