[aprssig] Possible auto-reply bug in the Kenwood TM-D700 and/or TM-D710

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Sat Jul 23 14:36:18 EDT 2011

Hello Kai,

thanks very much for getting back...

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 19:58 +0200, la3qma at aprs.la wrote:
> Siterer "Guido Trentalancia" <iz6rdb at trentalancia.com>:
>
> > Another possible bug in Kenwood radios could be that the APRS Auto-Reply
> > function not only automatically replies to incoming messages but also to
> > incoming bulletins, which clearly is not supposed to do for obvious
> > reasons.
>
> Not sure where you have this information. The TM-D710 does NOT sending
> "auto reply" to bulletin group or message groups.
>
> > I am not even sure whether it is eventually affecting the TM-D700, the
> > TM-D710 or both...
>
> I can check the TM-D700 tomorrow if no one else is testing this before me.

I think it's pointless to do that. It should be a TM-D710 because
sometimes it is identified by aprs.fi as "TM-D710" and other times as
"TM-D700 version 02", exactly as my TM-D710. See my second message about
this...

> > If this bug is confirmed and at the same time the device proves to be a
> > TM-D700, it might not even be possible to upgrade to a new firmware, I
> > suppose.
>
> If it's a TM-D700 then it's not possible to fix if this is a bug.
>
> But i do suspect that it's only sending a ACK to the sender and not to
> the "group" and this is not so bad even if it should no be like that.

It's not just sending back an ACK. It's sending back a full
pre-determined text message similar to "I am not available now, i will
call you later".

Because it identifies as TM-D710 (e.g. "APK102" and see also above), it
shouldn't be APRS packets generated by an external software, but rather
APRS packets generated by the APRS mode of the Kenwood transceiver
itself.

Of course, it could still be that the user is generating the APRS
packets with a computer and using the "APK102" string instead of using
something else which is unique, but that's very unlikely !

> Kai Gunter
> LA3QMA

Regards,

Guido IZ6RDB