[aprssig] Possible auto-reply bug in the Kenwood TM-D700 and/or TM-D710

la3qma at aprs.la la3qma at aprs.la
Sat Jul 23 16:28:34 EDT 2011

>> I can check the TM-D700 tomorrow if no one else is testing this before me.
>
> I think it's pointless to do that. It should be a TM-D710 because
> sometimes it is identified by aprs.fi as "TM-D710" and other times as
> "TM-D700 version 02", exactly as my TM-D710. See my second message about
> this...

Check the raw data. If the last character is a "=" then it's a TM-D710
Both TM-D700 and TM-D710 use APK102 so that the TM-D700 is identifying
a TM-D710 as a TM-D700 to be backward compatible. So the "=" is used
to identify it as an TM-D710.

> It's not just sending back an ACK. It's sending back a full
> pre-determined text message similar to "I am not available now, i will
> call you later".

I have tested from two of my TM-D710 and no one is sending the
autoreply to either bulletin or messagegroup.
Using the latest firmware.

> Because it identifies as TM-D710 (e.g. "APK102" and see also above), it
> shouldn't be APRS packets generated by an external software, but rather
> APRS packets generated by the APRS mode of the Kenwood transceiver
> itself.
>
> Of course, it could still be that the user is generating the APRS
> packets with a computer and using the "APK102" string instead of using
> something else which is unique, but that's very unlikely !

I have seen more strange things ;o) so i would not bet on that people
have not changed it to APK102

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA