[aprssig] Generic Smartphone APRS aps!

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 31 17:30:33 EST 2011

Gentlemen:

Starting nearly four years ago now, when returning to ham radio after a long
absence, it didn't take me long to realize that APRS (and since I am
interested in emergency work only I am talking about RF APRS only) was
simply very complex and something that I would put off until I had
"mastered" Software Defined Radio.  Now that I feel fairly comfortable with
SDR I am trying to follow the direction(s) that you fellows are going!   Of
course, I agree that a graphic image, a map or something much more complex,
can convey a lot of information very quickly and I also see a need for
combining that with text to eliminate a lot of confusion for the spatially
challenged.   To that end, my own most recent purchase was a nice little
Yaesu handheld with this plastic lump that I understand can receive GPS.   I
also have a nice miniature keyboard that I can attach to the D-700 and I
also have an assembly of cables and more plastic lumps that are identified
as ARGENT ADS-GM1 and Open Tracker plus.   I seem to recall registering for
UI-View and I have purchased DEPICTION---a program that makes a lot of sense
to me.  And I took careful note of the I-phone display idea as well.

But you might consider this note to be a plaintive wail in winter winds to
"settle down" so a simple old guy like myself can understand where you are
going and how to use what I'm sure is amazing, useful and fun stuff!

73

Lee   K9WRU   WD2XSH/32