[aprssig] Generic Smartphone APRS aps!

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Mon Jan 31 17:08:55 EST 2011

> So APRS applications need to do the things you say, but for me, all of that is of little benefit without a MAP included.
>
> Gregg Wonderly
> W5GGW

I've had the chance to use a VX-8 text APRS display lately. My usual
display is APRS+SA on a P1. The APRS+SA map is set on the screen, so
that I "see" anything within 30 miles in all directions. This is about
the range of my V/U FM radios with repeaters.

I see objects (repeaters), etc. I keep a small window with status to see
others' status (which may contain their voice frequency.

MAPs let me glance and see what is nearby - all of it - home stations,
Winlinks, other mobiles, other resources, etc.

By comarison, with a small display, it requires constant scrolling and
mental gymnastics to get "the entire picture" of what is nearby that may
be of use to me.

To observe what is "up the road" I do one gesture on the computer, to
change zoom, now I can see the state! Or that weather alert polygon 2
major cities away. Etc. Can't get the info that quickly with a text
display.

Both have their place. Maps are it for mobile. I'm with Gregg on this one.

BTW, Greg, is that Sunshine Intertie?  Armadillo and Intertie, Inc.,
down here in TX.

--
       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (     Echolink 221408      Grid Square EL17HQ
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  wa2mct at arrl.net