[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating reloaded (Was: APRS on Android)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Sun Jan 30 07:46:22 EST 2011

Hello,

* Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> [2011-01-27 05:37]:
> On 1/26/2011 11:56 AM, Max Harper wrote:
> >Stephen H. Smith wrote
> >"How is the centralized server/mullti-igate supposed to
> >know what the coverage of a given receiver/terminal  server is?"
> >Have a transmit range filter.
[..]
> However, in the mountainous terrain of the western third of the
> country, this assumption is grossly invalid.  For example, for my
> location in Pasadena, CA,  my igate coverage extends for about 4
> miles north of me, but 60 miles southward.

I do not see how this is a problem. Set 60 miles as your filter and you
will cover the southern area, whereas the signals will just fade earlier
on in the northern direction. Somebody else might take care of IS-gating
over there.

As the problem is that pure-IS stations are not seen on RF, this is an
easy measure to improve the situation.

73 de Georg, DO1GL
--
|| http://op-co.de ++  GCS/CM d-- s: a- C+++ UL+++ !P L+++ E--- W++  ++
|| gpg: 0x962FD2DE ||  N++ o? K- w---() O M V? PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ t+  ||
|| Ge0rG: euIRCnet ||  5 X R(+) tv b+(++) DI+++ D+ G e+++ h- r++ y?  ||