[aprssig] APRS on Android

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 02:27:17 EST 2011

Ah, ok.  Yes, this does help.  It makes me even more puzzled why it is so difficult to do 2-way messaging in random places (even though the local APRS traffic is strong), if bi-directional messaging is considered routine.

But, to the point of the discussion, it also makes me less interested in participating.  To do so would feel like we're turning our priorities upside down.  Instead of the primary environment being RF and the -IS system being an accessory of useful services, we're putting the IS at the center of things and making the RF-linked thing the accessory.  At some point, why bother with the RF thing at all?  Add a few more services and a game or two, and you've turned IS into Facebook.  (Sorry, slight exaggeration to make the point...)

We're supposed to be doing things in the RF space that can't be done through commercial services.  Sitting on the beach by an out-of-the-way lighthouse-turned-Bed&Breakfast on the Northern California coast and sending an APRS->email message to our daughter that we arrived safely but have no phone service (*).  Having a real-time, multi-client shared tactical view of a community or emergency event, and sharing it with the rest of the world.  That sort of stuff.  If you want to beacon as if you have a radio, why not do it with a radio?

Greg  KO6TH

(*) Point Cabrillo Light Station, California State Historic Park; August, 2008.  Highly recommended.