[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating reloaded (Was: APRS on Android)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 23:36:23 EST 2011

On 1/26/2011 11:56 AM, Max Harper wrote:
> Stephen H. Smith wrote
> "How is the centralized server/mullti-igate supposed to
> know what the coverage of a given receiver/terminal  server is?"
> Have a transmit range filter.

This may work in the billiard table flatlands of the Midwest where you can
assume a radio site has a more-or-less omnidirectional coverage pattern.

However, in the mountainous terrain of the western third of the country, this
assumption is grossly invalid.  For example, for my location in Pasadena, CA,
my igate coverage extends for about 4 miles north of me, but 60 miles southward.