[aprssig] APRS on Android

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 13:00:32 EST 2011

On 1/25/2011 6:02 AM, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:
> Actually, maybe I wasn't clear after all..what I am looking for is to be able
> to use my APRSDroid app for beaconing, and to be seen in the local APRS
> environment just the same as those using RF, via RF. So, anyone viewing APRS
> via RF on a map would see me (via reverse IS-to RF igating) along with anyone
> else out there...locally to where I am. Anyone else who is not local to where
> *I* am can just go on aprs.fi and see my path/position.
>
> Example...I am in Madison, WI- I want my beacons to be seen by anyone
> watching APRS via RF as if I was beaconing directly via radio.
>
> Is that any clearer?
>
> Eric K9LGE

It's perfectly clear what you WANT .      It's should also be clear that it's
not PRACTICAL given the current architecture of APRS and state of APRS
applications.

Gating an itinerant Internet mobile into every community it passes through
would be vastly more complex than just gating it to RF in it's home community
so the stay-at-homes can watch on RF.  Countless individual igates would have
to white-list enable your IS-to-RF reverse-gating passage when you are in their
neighborhood, and then disable it again when you move on.  Else your
Internet-originated transmissions could be spewing out of hundreds of igates
all over the country simultaneously.

Theoretically, an application on an igate could compare the coordinates of
Internet-stream mobiles with the igate's own location,  and gate them to RF,
if they are say within 10 miles of the igate.   Since every igate is
independent, this would mean getting THOUSANDS of different igate operators to
update/replace their software individually.

However APRS, like many large software environments, suffers from what IBM once
called "the tyranny of the installed base" -- that once you have a sufficiently
large number of existing installations, it becomes nearly impossible to make
major changes. Too many parties have an interest in the status quo, can't be
bothered to make changes, don't want to spend the money on new software or
hardware, etc.